Monday, June 27, 2016

Sacred Places

I had the opportunity a while ago to visit Far West Missouri.  I didn't know as much about Far West then as I do now but I do remember being impressed with how strong the spirit was. I had seen many other church sites on the same tour and this one stop seemed to have made more of an impact on me than the others that were larger in size and in what there was to see. 

Far West Temple Site
image credit © 2008, Nate Tanner.
I never really looked into the why that spot was so special and sacred. I read the accounts of the early saints that lived there and attributed it to their sacrifices and dedication to live the gospel that made it so special.

It was brought to my attention a couple of weeks ago that Far West was more than just where the early saints gathered. 

    *"In June of 1966, President David O. McKay and President Joseph Fielding Smith visited Adam-ondi-Ahman and other historical sites in Missouri accompanied by Alvin R. Dyer and other church officials. Elder Dyer later wrote:
“In connection with President McKay’s visit at Far West, it is to be noted that while there the president appeared somewhat overwhelmed. The place made a deep impression upon him; so much so that he referred to Far West a number of times in the ensuing days as a place of deep impression.
“The feeling that President McKay had at Far West registered upon me once again, but now with greater impact. The events that transpired there are significant: (a) The Lord proclaimed Far West a holy and consecrated land unto him, declaring to Joseph Smith that the very ground he stood on there was holy. (D&C 115:7) (b) The Prophet Joseph Smith contended with the devil face to face for some time, upon the occasion of the power of evil menacing one of his children in the Prophet’s home just west of the temple site. Lucifer declared that Joseph had no right to be there, that this was his place. Whereupon the Prophet rebuked Satan in the name of the Lord, and he departed and did not touch the child again. (c) The overwhelming feeling that President McKay had when he visited this sacred place.
“The Answer: I have often pondered the holy significance of Far West, and even more so since President McKay’s visit. The sacredness of Far West, Missouri, is no doubt due to the understanding that the Prophet Joseph Smith conveyed to the brethren, at these early times, that Adam-ondi-Ahman, the place to which Adam and Eve fled when cast out of the Garden of Eden, is where Adam erected an altar unto God, and offered sacrifices, and that Far West was the spot where Cain killed Abel.
“This information tends to explain why the Lord declared Far West to be a holy consecrated place; and no doubt explains why Satan claimed that place as his own, as it was here that he entered into a covenant with Cain, resulting in the death of Abel, the first of mortal existence to die upon this earth.” (Joseph Fielding Smith Jr./ John J Stewart, The Life of Joseph Fielding Smith p.340)"

When I had heard that I had tingles go up my back. That special place, that I have yet to forget what it felt like to be there, was where the first murder was committed.... how is that even possible? Before I really had a chance to question it further I felt impressed by the Spirit that God loves broken things. He took a place with a history of sadness, hurt, fear and broken covenants and He turned it into a holy place. 

A sacred place. 

my next thought... you know what else is broken? my marriage...my husband...my heart.  If God can make a place like that holy and sacred He can definitely change me, my husband and our marriage into something more holy and worthy of Him. 

I can't help but think of the prodigal son... you can read the story here.
My husband has "devoured his living with harlots" and I am the son sitting here going why him? why are we celebrating him, he hurt me! His actions have hurt me and continue to do so why are we killing the fatted calf and celebrating his return? I never left thee... 

Luke 15:31 (emphasis added) And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

All that is the Fathers is mine if I continue to do His will. I have no reason to fear that just because my husband is coming back unto him doesn't mean my never leaving Him is forgotten. God is a just God. He is a merciful God. He loves me and He loves my husband. Even though I didn't hurt anyone and my husband did, He loves us the same. Why? because we are all His children. He doesn't condone what my husband did, He never will say that it was okay, but He will forgive him. He will forgive me... so I have to forgive my husband too. 

While I am trying to figure out this whole forgiveness thing I have to rely on the promise that if God can transform the most wicked places and the most ruined buildings... He can transform me, so I need to trust in Him. 


*sourced from this blog and seen in other places, I don't have a copy of the book otherwise I would verify the source myself

No comments:

Post a Comment